July 29, 2008

MY TOP FIVE TIPS FOR WAKING PEOPLE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT

As a cat who is normally locked inside the house during the night, I'd like to address an issue that's been puzzling me for a while. Why do humans insist on sleeping for eight hours in one go instead of taking regular naps?

Why don't humans nap like cats?You see, I don't understand why people don't take a leaf from the feline book of life, and have several one hour sleeps during the day so they don't have to close down totally for such a long period. If cats can do it, why can't humans? And it'd be much better for cat 'owners' as well, as we wouldn't have to get you up during the night. I know I hate it when I get woken up from my 3pm nap, so it must be equally as frustrating for you.

But there are multiple reasons why we need to get you up. Like this morning, for example. It might have been 4.15am, but it was really urgent that I looked out of the window specifically over mum and dad's bed. Fortunately there was nothing going on outside and I didn't miss anything (phew!), but you just never know do you?

Anyhow, given that you insist on this ridiculously rigid day plan, we have no choice but to wake you. So Josie, Lilly and I have come up with our five most tried and tested methods of waking up our 'owners'...

The Loud Meow demonstrated by a youngster1. The loud meow: it's a bit amateurish, but a good starting point for the inexperienced cat. Simply sit down right next to their heads and meow loudly (demonstrated right). The downside is that it can provoke a flailing arm. It's not very classy.

2. Patting exposed flesh: this is my favourite and seems to work every time. If an arm is out of the duvet and hanging over the side of bed, all you do is pat it repeatedly until they move. If there's no response, get your claws out a bit - that rouses them!

3. Stand on chest and meow gently and repeatedly: Josie swears by this one, although she does say that sometimes she can see they're awake but that they're pretending they're not as if they think she'll go away. Do they think she's stupid?

4. Play fight in the bedroom...loudly: Lilly and I have this one down to a tee. Wrestling at the foot of the bed and/or jumping onto the bed and chasing each other up and down mum's body is a great way of getting her up. Although they do normally kick us out of the bedroom after that...

5. Climb underneath the duvet and scratch or bite their toes: this one is the most advanced move. A variation on number 2, it is more for the experienced cat, as the risk of getting kicked in the head means there's an element of danger involved. But it always provokes a response...

DiggDeliciousStumbleUponredditFacebookTechnorati

25 comments:

Mickey's Musings said...

Hi Jake :) I'm Mickey.
I saw a comment you left on House Panthers. The eyes belong to my little sisfur Tillie.
Would you like to meet lots of cats? There is a really cool place to go.It's called the Cat Blogosphere. The cats there are super nice.
I'll tell them about you. Here is the link

http://www.blog.catblogosphere.com/

Purrs Mickey

Laila and Angel Minchie said...

Hi Jake! Nice to meet you! You have a great blog. Please do join the catblogosphere because it's lots of fun and you will meet lots of new furrends.

Laila and Minchie

The Cat Realm said...

Yes, we do all five routines regularly too - and have some extra, just in case!
Our maid is - was - a biologist and she says that humans in a natural environment (like aboriginals around the world) do NOT sleep 8 hours through either! Studies show that after 2 or 3 hours they wake up (yes, IN the middle of the night) are awake for a couple of hours and then go on sleeping. They do all kinds of things in those nightly hours but she didn't want to explain to us....
Anyways - welcome to the Cat Blogophere, Jake, Josie and Lilly! Usually Karl greets new cats but he is on safari right now...
Come visit me!
Mrs. OZ

Texas said...

Welcome to the blogosphere! You have good tips! Check out my tips for annoying beans on my bloggie!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jake, you look like you have a very good life. My brother Gerry likes to jump on Mum's eyeballs to wake her up, luckily he is a small cat so there's never much bruising ;)

Cats~Goats~Quotes said...

Hi Jake!
We saw Mickey's post at The Cat Blogosphere and thought we'd come over and introduce ourselves!
We're mostly known as The Bunch.

We used to have rabbits, but they had to go to The Bridge. We think Winston and Harry are cute!

It was great reading your blog and meeting everyfur. We'll add you to our sidebar and will visit you again.
Come see us, too!

~ The Bunch

Daisy said...

Hi Jake! It is nice to meet you. I read about you on the Cat Blogosphere.

When I want to wake my Mommie up, I usually give her the Bitey. It always works!

The Meezers or Billy said...

Hi Jake!! It's nice to meet you!!! we love making new friends! come by and visit us when you get a chance!!

Personally, we prefer the bladder stomp and laying directly over mom's nose an mouth. Both are 100% guaranteed to get her lazy butt out of bed.

Sammy and Miles Meezer and Billy SweetFeets Gingersnap

Tiki, Kirby, and StanLee said...

Hi Jake!

Riley recommends licking Mommy's eyelids. Kesey recommends jingling his collar tags. Tiki recommends running very fast back and forth across Mommy & Daddy - but only in hotel rooms - the rest of the time she is a goody 2 shoes.

Gemini and Ichiro said...

Hello Jake! It's nice to meet you. I find that just snoozing on them is much more fun!

Mr. Hendrix said...

welcome to the blogosphere! i'm with you on the bean sleeping habits. weird weird weird. one of my favorite ways to wake up mommy is the 3am walk across the bladder...for daddy it is the 3am walk across Mr Winky.

i hope you'll come visit me sometime, my evil alter ego Bendrix and I love making new friends.

Zippy, Sadie, Speedy and M'Gee said...

Hi Jake, welcome to da cat blogosphere. We triple team mom, Speedy sits on her face, Sadie will make biskits on her bladder and Zippy bites her legs...hey, she's gotta get up and feed us!

Robyn and The (Mostly) Badass Cat said...

Good to meet you, Jake! I made Sanjee put you on our blogroll (she's in charge of that kind of stuff.) Those are good tips for waking the people up. I'll make sure everyone here knows them all.
Purrrrrrrrrs,
Boni Maroni and the rest of the Hotties

Jans Funny Farm said...

Hey, Jake, We stopped by to meet you after reading about you on CB.

Don't be intimidated by our number. We're quite friendly.

The Island Cats said...

Hi Jake, it's nice to meet you! We like to wake the beans up in the night by whapping everything off of the table next to the bed. Works every time!!

Wally, Ernie & Zoey

Samantha & Mom said...

Hi Jake! We are Samantha & Mr. Tigger! Mickey told us about you and we came to visit! It is very nice to meet you and we'll be back! Welcome to the Cat Blogosphere!
Your FL furiends,

Sweet Purrfections said...

Welcome to the cat blog! Mickey suggested that I come by for a visit. I really enjoyed your comments about waking the beans at night. I used to do that all the time to my Mom when I was younger, but I think I sleep as much as she does at night now.

Please come by and visit.

Praline

PB 'n J said...

Hi Jake, nice to meet you! Those are all really great ways to wake up the beins! Come visit us when you have some time!

Pearl, Bert and Jake

KC and the Giggleman Kitties said...

Hi Jake,
i's saw you on tha Cat Blogosphere an wanted to stop by an say Hi. Hi!
my purrsonal teknique is to get right up to Mommy's face, eyeballs to eyeballs and stare. if'n that doesn't work, then I lets out this big meeeeeeooooooooowwwwwwww, something i fink only torties can do... not sure on that. Hers toes curl first, then she wakes up. I give her the pitiful, hungry look and hers finks she forgets to feed me. hee hee, works effurrytime.
Purrs,
KC

Karen Jo said...

Hi Jake, I read about your new blog on the Cat Blogosphere and came over to visit. You have great ways of waking your beans up. I used to live with a cat who bit my nose to wake me up. It was very effective.

Goldie, Shade and Banshee said...

Great list and welcome to the CB!!!!

My favorite night methods are to throw up or at least make the noise like I am, lick plastic bags and harassing the wee one until he yells.

Nice to meet you!

purrs Goldie

The Lee County Clowder said...

Hey, Jake. Welcome to the Cat Blogosphere. There are gobs and gobs of kitties hanging out here.

Chrissie said...

Hey, Jake! The Cat Blogosphere folks sent me over to welcome you! I'm in complete agreement with you over the "nap vs. hibernate over 8 hours" issue. Humans can be most unobservant. You'd think that by observing our boundless energy, curiousity and intelligence while awake, they'd deduce it the effect of periodic sleep! Hah!

TabbyNormal said...

Hi Jake!
I found out about your blog from the Cat Blogosphere! Welcome.

Those are some really good rules. I admit I have not tried them, as I tend to fall asleep when my humans are sleeping too. It's just contagious!

Purrs,
Abby Normal

Just Ducky said...

Hey Jake! Welcome to the blogosphere. I like your tips, but I swear mum could sleep through all of this!